Gemstones are those ultimate gifts of Mother Nature that enhance the beauty of Earth and human beings. It is rather a fascinating world of gems and jewelry where they control the nature of human beings and also have astrological and health benefits.
Some gemstones are found from volcanic eruptions and some are formed in the womb of the earth under extreme pressure and temperature. Gemstones can be distinguished not only by their color but also with their characteristics.
How To Buy Gemstones?
While purchasing a gemstone, one needs to take care of the color and the refractive index. Some of the other features that need to be considered include color saturation, depth of tone, and hues.
What Is The Hue?
It is another name for the gemstone’s color. Remember, hues of gemstones are more valuable. For instance, sapphires that have a color range of velvety blue to violet-blue are considered to be the most precious.
Anything less dark or darker is considered to be less precious. GIA has established a color grading system. This color grading system has 31 color ranges from red to brown. The gradation comprises of colors like slightly yellowish green to greenish-blue in the mix.
What Is The Tone And Clarity Of The Gemstones?
The tone is an important factor in the pricing of the gemstone. Tone actually refers to the precision or the darkness of the gemstone. It must be remembered that medium to medium-dark tone o Sapphire more prized than something that is extremely light or dark in color.
It must be mentioned here that almost highly-priced gemstones ill have inclusions. Gemstones without flaws are very rare and expensive. However, in some cases gemstones with flaws are more in demand because of the unique texture and get up they have.
The Cut Is Really Important
Unlike diamonds, there is no ideal cut for gemstones for maximum brilliance. However, well-cut gemstones are in demand because of their brilliance, exposure of color, lesser inclusions and color enhancements.
If cut properly, the light is reflected brilliantly. If there is a slight defect in the cut, the light escapes and the stone looks lighter in shade. Similarly, a stone that has been cut too deep appears dark since the light is lost within.
The size and the weight of the stone differ depending on their densities. For instance, Rubies are denser than diamonds and the carat of ruby stone looks smaller than a carat of diamonds.
Hence, the carat weight of the gemstone is not the best way to tell its size. Instead, look for the diameter of the gemstone from the top. All Those Things That You Have To Know About Gemstones are shown in this topic that helps you to enhance your knowledge.
How To Determine The Gemstones’ Quality?
Before buying a gemstone, ensure:
• That the gemstone is not treated, blanched or exposed to radiation. Most of the gemstones, including aquamarine, sapphire, ruby, amethyst, and citrine gemstones have been heated. It must also be remembered that emeralds are routinely treated or dyed to hide the flaws.
• That the rubies that you buy have not been filled with lead- glass. This makes them look even more expensive than the actual look.
• That the gemstones are not synthetic, which does not necessarily mean they are fake. They are grown by scientists in a lab and are of better quality than that of natural certified gemstones because they do not have the inclusions of the Earth. However, remember, they are not as rare as the real or natural gemstones. Check under the magnifying glass if there are inclusions are not. You can take your call accordingly.
• Beware of glass ‘gemstones. They are available in plenty these days. Look under a telescopic glass and you should not find any scrape or fizzes inside the gemstone. That is a way to confirm that it is a glass.
• Assess the stone in light and if it looks like a bulb, it is fake. Light will never go through them like natural stone, through which the stone’s interior can be seen.
• If you are still in doubt, put the stone inside the mouth. If it is glass, it will get warm quickly.
Consider these above factors before buying a gemstone and you can avoid being cheated.